I have an old yellow bean bag that is my best friend in the winter I sleep with it, I work with it, I watch tv with it, sure you understand that I love my heated bean bag. But it’s time for a new one, so I found pretty pink flannel at the local material store and decided to make a new one.
For this project you will need a sewing machine. I make an inner and an outer, so that you can wash the outer when it gets dirty.
What you will need:
1 kg barley wheat
a piece of cotton linen (32 x 46 cm)
a piece of flennel (32 x 54 cm)
1. We’ll start off by cutting the inner bag. Fold your piece of material in 2 on the length and cut 16 x 46 cm piece (double).
2. You’ll then sew the bottom and the long side, keeping the top part open so that you can through the barley in there.
3. Through the barley in the top opening
4. Sew it closed
5. Now we will move on making the sleeve, by cutting two pieces, one 16 x 46 cm and the other 16 x 54 cm
6. At the top (short end), fold a hem of about 0.5cm in both the ends and pin it down.
7. Sew the hems of both the top ends of the two pieces.
8. Now place the two pieces on top of each other with the right sides of the material facing each other and the bottom ends together.
9. Fold the long piece in so that it is about the same length or slightly longer than the short piece, pin and sew right around.
10. Turn your sleeve right way round and your outer sleeve is done.
11. Place the inner bag with the barley in, inside.
To heat the bag place it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. It is recommended that you don’t leave it un attended to and that you add a cup of water in the microwave when heating it. Because the barley is dry it can apparently catch light if it is heated up to a too high temperature.
I like dropping some lavender essential oil on the inner bag once heated up, it is lovely and relaxing when you take it to bed.